Sunday, July 8, 2012

60 Things About My Mother

Friends of mine are always in awe of how youthful my Mom looks. What can I say? We're Asian. Asians age pretty well!  I'm not kidding. I still get carded, and I'm *ahem* 36 years old!

I cannot believe my Mom turned 60 on Saturday. She does not look a day over 40!

In honour of my Mom's 60th Birthday, we threw her a 60s themed birthday bash.  Family and friends gathered for fun, food, and laughs.  Au lieu of presents, she asked that donations be made for a charity back in her hometown in the Philippines. The money would go to feeding children in her hometown who have little to no food or money.

Yes, my friends. I'm part filipino, and filipinos do things BIG! We rented the hall, cooked up a feast, dressed up in 60s outfits, and even had a disco ball!

In keeping with the 'Eating a Rainbow' lifestyle Hubs, Little One and I have, I made sure there were LOTS of rainbow foods! Check out the fruit (and cucumber) arrangement I made!

Check out the groovy cake The Cake Lady made!  This is the coolest psychedelic, tie-dyed, VW van cake EVER!

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh. Check out the license plate at the back! Mom's initials "E.V.L." spell "EVIL"! Too funny!
My brothers, some aunts, a cousin, Dad and I pitched in to get Mom an iPad. She has wanted one for a while and I thought it would be nice to get her one. My brother, a teaser, asked me to tape a cotton make-up remover pad into the birthday card and write "Here's your EYE PAD. At least we made a donation (to the charity of her choice in the Philippines)!" Oh! We had her going for a while. It was pretty funny! I couldn't resist (I felt badly for her), so we gave her her iPad soon after! She was thrilled!

Here are 60 things about my mother:
  1. She's very youthful
  2. Her laughter is contagious
  3. She is very friendly
  4. She is a great cook, even though she claims otherwise
  5. She was very strict with us when we were kids, but is super lenient with her grandkids
  6. She loves the Beatles, the Bee Gees, and the Lettermen
  7. She desperately wanted an iPad, but kept calling it an iPod!
  8. She makes the best pancit (Filipino noodles)
  9. She is ADDICTED to Facebook
  10. She is obsessed with taking photos of her four amazing little grandchildren
  11. Her first grandchild was born on her wedding anniversary
  12. She hates being in the sun
  13. She doesn't like to swim
  14. She's got family photos all over her house (and I mean ALL OVER)!
  15. She's a neat freak
  16. Okay, maybe more like obsessive compulsive when it comes to the cleanliness of her house :)
  17. She loves onion rings
  18. She loves fish and chips, but it has to be British style fish and chips
  19. She has 'theme songs' for each of her grandchildren
  20. She has a bucket list
  21. She'll do anything for those she loves
  22. She stands up for what she believes in
  23. She's very stubborn
  24. She's really funny!
  25. Up until a few years ago, she didn't know what "Cut the cheese" meant :)
  26. She can crochet baby blankets
  27. She taught me how to crochet and latch hook
  28. She loves doing dishes by hand
  29. She hates scary movies
  30. She loves romantic comedies
  31. She loves grocery shopping
  32. Traveling is one of her passions
  33. She's extremely organized
  34. She loves her three kids very much
  35. She's married to her best friend
  36. I'm just kidding. I'm not going to make you read SIXTY things about  my Mom! I'll stop right here :)

Happy 60th Birthday, Mom! 
We love you very much!

{60s themed costumes from http://www.costumesupercenter.com/}

0 comments:

Post a Comment