Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mommies Unite...Or Stab Each Other in the Back?


In my two and a half years as a mom (yes, I'm still a newbie!), I have enjoyed the company and mom advice from fellow moms.  Mom friends that I've known from pre-wedding and pre-baby, moms from my community, family members, and moms from the online world have all been a great resource to draw from.

I'm sure many of us have experienced the wonderful side of having the support from other moms. With this, there is also the not so supportive side at times. You know what I'm talking about. Chastising moms for not breastfeeding, telling parents that they are bad parents for co-sleeping, warning that attachment parenting and baby wearing is doing your child a tremendous disservice and will ruin them for life...These are some of the criticisms a few of my mom friends have been on the receiving end of.

People have very strong opinions about parenting. For the most part, I believe opinions are well-intentioned. I don't agree with certain parenting styles, beliefs, or methods. At the same time, I believe that each parent knows what's best for their own baby and parents know their babies better than anyone else does. What works for some may not work for others.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced too much of this. I am curious though. What do you think? Are fellow moms generally supportive or have you experienced any insensitive comments or remarks? Read this latest blog post on  BornFreeMom.ca and leave a comment there! You can win a BornFree formula dispenser! Even if you don't use formula, some moms have said that the dispenser makes a great snack container too! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment