Thursday, November 4, 2010

Our Quaker Journey to Wellness

Living on a farm and being married to a farmer has its good points.  We are always busy and we rarely eat junk food.  We spend a lot of time outdoors. Most of our food comes from our farm or from the farmers' markets.  Plus, Hubby grew up on wholesome, homemade food. This said, we still have to whittle down a few pant sizes. Not only will dropping some weight make us look and feel better, but it will give us more energy and keep us healthier in the long run.

My friend (Artsy Teacher Mom) and I made a conscious effort to go speed walking after work every day.  That lasted a solid two weeks.  Then I got sick, she got sick, Little One had pneumonia, my friend's mat leave ended and she had to start teaching again too.  Our routine was broken just as quickly as it started. We're still very motivated about our walking routine.  We just need to organize ourselves. It felt really good to have that one hour of "me" time and the speed walking was exhilarating and refreshing.

For me, it's not just about the weight loss, but more about a healthier lifestyle. Just like the good people at Quaker, it is my belief that wellness does not need to be "an all-or-nothing endeavor. It’s not about becoming a gym monkey, marathon runner or obsessive calorie counter. It’s more
holistic than that. It involves being better to yourself and your family, becoming more mindful of
things like stress management, quality family time and taking care of your body".

Quaker understands that this is a common goal of most families and they have invited Lynn from www.walkingwithsissors.com   to share her family's journey to wellness as they take on the challenge to make lifestyle changes in their household.

Check out Lynn's new spot at  quakerjourney.ca .

You can get involved and possibly even win awesome prizes. Each week you could win simply by
participating in the blog (by voting on a weekly poll, commenting on a post or suggesting a tip for Lynn).
There are larger monthly prizes to be won by voting on the challenges that you’d like Lynn to take.

I've been  checking out Lynn's posts and participating (commenting, voting on weekly polls, and suggesting a tip) for the past month. It's been great learning more about her and her journey.  She's really funny too!

As for my family's journey to wellness, I want to get in more workout time and try to eat oatmeal every morning. As it stands, we eat oatmeal twice or three times a week for breakfast. We're an oats family, but could use more oats in our recipes. Little One LOVES oatmeal and would eat it every single day if she could. I add oatmeal to my cooking (in my meatloaf and in my baking). I would like to eat more oatmeal in the mornings though, because of all its amazing health benefits. These are all just part of my plan to live better. What are yours?


Disclosure - I am participating in the
Quaker Journey to Wellness program by Mom Central on behalf of Pepsi Co. I received a gift card
as a thank you for my participation. The opinions on this blog are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Crazy but good news! I've lost 5.5 lbs since we began our Quaker Journey to Wellness!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo!! Congratulations on your accomplishments so far and thanks for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete