Sunday, September 12, 2010

Straight from the Heart

First Kiss captured by Heather Morgan of Lifespark.ca
Photo of Nimkee and his Mom

Sometimes I think of Little One's first 70 days of life and all the memories of life in the NICU return. Though each day was a roller coaster ride, her life in the NICU was nothing compared to the experiences of some other precious babes and their parents.

Many of you know that because of our experience with Little One being in the NICU, we will always support Mount Sinai Hospital and Sick Kids Hospital, and we will always be grateful to the team of medical experts who took care of Little One.

When we heard of Bennett-Chadlen-Roy's story, it hit close to home. Though his story was quite different from ours, it really had an impact on us. We knew we had to help out in some way and help parents with babies in the NICU.

It meant a lot to us to be able to befriend and help out Bennett's Mom, Melissa Dawn Roy in her latest project (the Nimkee Blessings Benefit Concert). What amazing work she is doing in helping other parents and families with babies in the NICU.

Check out her blog and see how you can help.

P.S. Thanks for the shout out, Melissa!

4 comments:

  1. ~thank you C---we love you! Little One and family will always be very special to me too.

    Love, Peace, & Nimkee Blessings to you and yours,
    Melissa XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I wrote a brief note to the doctor that performed Rebecca's heart surgery. He moved to California shortly after Rebecca's surgery and we never had any further contact with him. I just thought it would be nice for him to know how she was doing now and that his hands had helped to save her life.
    OUr stay at sick kids lasted a little over a month, she went there on September 12 and I was determined to have her home for Thanksgiving. Partly because my brother Peter whom I hadn't seen in a few years was going to be home. In addition, I had three other children at home who needed their mom back.
    This summer was her last appointment at the one clinic; after 14 years she no longer has to travel to Sick Kids. Pretty amazing for someone they gave less that a 20% chance of surviving her first year and 50% chance till 2 and 80% chance to 5.
    The support we have been given over these 14 years has really been great; I applaud Melissa in her caring and loving support for other parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nimkee's Mum:
    We love you too. I applaud you for your hard work, effort, strength, and love. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christianna:
    Okay, your comment about Roo just made me CRY!!!! Seriously, Hubby's probably wondering why I'm sitting at the computer and bawling my eyes out! I'm so happy to hear all is well with Roo. What a remarkable young lady she is...and you're a remarkable Mommy! Have I told you lately how much I big fat fuzzy heart you???

    ReplyDelete