Friday, January 20, 2012

Celebrating Chinese New Year with VH Sauces

 
I am sad to admit that though I am part Chinese, I know very little about my heritage. Growing up in Quebec, my parents chose for us to focus on French and not Chinese or Tagalog (my Dad is Chinese and my Mom is Filipina).

We sort of celebrated Chinese New Year, but we didn't really know much about it. Not knowing the language, the history, or anything about our background left me feeling a disconnect from my culture. Now that I am older, I'm saddened by this.

This is why I want to celebrate the Lunar New Year. I want Little One to appreciate, embrace, and learn about her Chinese background - even though she's Scottish-Irish-English-Filipina-Spanish-Caribbean-Chinese (in other words, "Canadian"!), I would love for her to be in touch with that part of her.

On January 23rd, we are ushering the Year of the Dragon with a Chinese New Year dinner. I am so excited that we are celebrating the Year of the Dragon. The Dragon is supposed to signify power, luck, success, and happiness! What better way to celebrate than by sharing a meal with friends and family?

VH is playing a key role in our celebration this year.

We were sent VH sauces to help in the creation of our festive meal. We received VH Garlic Hoisin Stir-Fry Sauce, Sweet & Sour Stir-Fry Sauce, and  Medium Garlic Rib Sauce.  

I'm really excited about preparing our meal, but won't share what's on the menu yet! You'll have to find out about it after our New Year's celebration on Monday! I promise to include recipes and photos of the festivities!

In the meantime, here is one of the many recipes VH is sharing with you. I hope it inspires you to create dishes for your family that include a little Asian flare and a touch of the Orient with the use of their Sweet & Sour sauce.

Exposing children's taste buds to a variety of different ingredients and tastes is a good thing! Get them to try new flavours like a touch of ginger or something tangy or with garlic! Exploring a wide range of tastes may keep things interesting at the dinner table and maybe even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy their meal once they smell how aromatic everything is! Plus, sampling new foods is a great way to introduce kids to different cultures and teach them about the world around them. After all, food is a universal subject! Everyone enjoys talking about food!


Chicken stuffed with Broccoli and Goat Cheese

Serves 4

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes

4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
½ cup (125 mL) plain goat cheese (cream cheese can also be used)
2 cups (500 mL) frozen broccoli florets
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
1 bottle VH Sweet & Sour Sauce

1.       Place 1 chicken breast between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap, carefully pound chicken breast with the flat side of a meat tenderizer or rolling pin. Flatten breast to a 1/4 inch thickness, taking care not to tear the chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
2.       Place broccoli in a small glass and add just enough water to cover the florets, microwave for 4 minutes. Drain and chop finely. Stir warm broccoli into goat cheese until well combined.
3.       Place ¼ of the cheese mixture at the base of the first piece of chicken, carefully roll the meat over the cheese, tucking in the sides to enclose the cheese. Use 2-3 toothpicks to secure. Repeat with remaining 3 breasts.
4.       In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium-high, brown chicken on all sides, about 7 minutes. Add VH Sweet & Sour Sauce to the pan along with ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
5.       Slice chicken and serve with sauce poured over top.

Tips: For a cheesier version stir ¼ cup (60 mL) finely diced cheddar cheese into the broccoli and goat cheese mixture before stuffing. Also, for ease of preparation veal scallopini or store bought tenderized chicken can be used.
 For some Chinese New Year inspired recipes to try at home with your family, check out the VH Facebook page here!

Disclosure - We received an assortment of VH Sauces to facilitate this post. All the opinions on this blog are honest and my own.

16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear all about your New Year's menu! I'm keen to try the Garlic Hoisin stir-fry sauce. Haven't had VH in a while, but this post has me thinking about 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either :) LOL! I usually make my sauces from scratch, but this makes the whole dinner party even easier! Thankful that VH sent them! LOL! If you try the Garlic Hoisin sauce, let me know what you think of it. xo

      Delete
  2. Yum!

    We just looked up the Chinese Calendar last night and read about all of our years of birth. It was very interesting a lot of what was said was true about each of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fab idea! I'm going to get the Chinese Calendar and get get all our guests to look up their signs! How fun! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. I just tried that same recipe this week, we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! Awesome! So good to know!

      Delete
    2. ohhh we are celebrating Chinese New Year on Monday!!

      Delete
    3. Yay! That's awesome! I'm hoping to get some decorations made (Chinese dragon-inspired stuff) and go all out.

      Delete
  4. That recipe looks great, my husband would love it. :) Can't wait to see what your menu turns out to be. I also love your daughter's heritage. Mixed babies are ADORB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally biased here, but YES! Mixed babies are adorable!! LOL! ;) I was going to say the same on one of your latest posts! Your girls are too cute!

      Delete
  5. I love VH sauces. They can definitely turn a meal around. Make you look like you really know what you're doing. lol works for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you will love your meal! We just made the steak and veggie noodle bowl from the VH Chinese New Year recipe selections. It was YUMMY!!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like fun! Your meal looks so tasty!!!

    I talked about why we aren't celebrating much this year in my post today lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got me motivated to teach my girl some CNY's tradition too! Luckily her preschool did a good job, she kept going round with mandarin oranges saying Gong Xi Gong Xi!

    Nominated you for Liebster Award :)
    http://eczemablues.com/2012/01/liebster-award-for-eczemablues-at-one-year-anniversary

    ReplyDelete