Tuesday, January 24, 2012

KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!

We celebrated Chinese New Year with friends and family last night.

I hosted a Chinese New Year dinner at our house and we will definitely be hosting one every year. With Little One being Chinese-Caribbean-Spanish-Filipina-Scottish-English-Irish, I really wanted to teach her about her cultural background and for her to embrace each aspect of who she is.

Getting the veggies ready for my Chow Mein. Little One loves noodles (aka: "Noonuls")!
Garlic ribs! I was supposed to use pork ribs, but since we live on a beef farm, we had beef ribs on hand. That, and one of my friends doesn't eat pork, so I thought I'd make sure there was a meat dish that she could eat.
I have to admit that I had the help of VH for our New Year's celebration. The ribs were made with VH Garlic Rib Sauce.
Check out the awesome spread! I made four dishes (sweet and sour pork, garlic ribs, chow mein, and Hoisin Garlic pork, plus steamed rice).
 
Guests also brought Chinese New Year-inspired dishes. Among them were sesame dumplings, soup, pot stickers, fried rice, sweet and sour chicken, and homemade fortune cookies!!!

Can you believe it?! HOMEMADE FORTUNE COOKIES, people!!! I was totally blown away! My friend said she just went on YouTube, found a video recipe, and made this with her 3 year old! She made two batches. One regular and one gluten-free!
 Apparently, I'm going to live a long and happy life.

Hubby's favourite dish of the evening: Hoisin Garlic Pork...also with the help of VH!
 
Artwork and decorations were made by my lovely and talented friend.
Happy New Year, everyone! May the luck of the Dragon grace you all this year!

Disclosure - We were given an assortment of VH products to help celebrate Chinese New Year. All the opinions on this blog are honest and my own.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) Year of the Dragon! Let's hope it's a lucky one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. *clink* I'll drink to that! :-) You too, Jen! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Yay! Happy New Year C! It's the year of the dragon right? I forget what year I am...I think I'm the snake! Sssss! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, year of the dragon! Hopefully it will be a lucky one for all of us :-) tee hee!

      Delete
  4. WOW. You guys really went all out. How did the little one like it? :) Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LO loved it! :-) She and her friend both wore their Chinese dresses! Too cute!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a fun party! You look like you had a great time!

    BTW - I love that stove in the background of your picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee! It's our wood cook stove! We're not using it at the moment, so Hubby suggested selling it. I want to keep it though. I am in love with it! :-)

      Delete
  6. What a feast! I knew I should have been up north for a holiday around Jan. 24. Look what I missed! Sounds like alot of fun and lip smacking tasting! By the way, is that a stove along the wall near your microwave? I am not sure what it is, but it looks antiquey. Great pics! Marg @ Simply Shop and Save.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg:
      It is indeed a stove! It's a wood stove that can be used to cook and heat the house. I told you I lived in an old farm house! Right now we aren't using the stove. :( The chimney needs to be fixed, so the stove is not connected at the moment. Several people have asked to buy the cook stove from us, but I'm reluctant to sell. I love it! Even though it isn't being used, I'm really attached to it.

      Delete