Sunday, January 22, 2012

#TimHortons - I Love You, but I'm SO Disappointed

Driving home from Guelph (where Hubby was speaking at the Beef Symposium at U of G), I was really looking forward to stopping at Tim Hortons. We were six hours into our drive back home and Hubby asked which location I wanted to stop at.

I wanted to go to the one just off the highway on our way into Espanola. I really like that location. There's a lot of parking space, everything is fresh and tasty, and I can always expect the same friendly service each time I go there.

Not this time.
Hubby stayed in the vehicle, since our 3 year old was sleeping. It was just after 11:30PM. I went in to get us some beverages to keep us awake for the r  emainder of our drive home.  The place was empty. There was just one other customer apart from me.

I stood at the counter, ready to order. I was really looking forward to our beverages! I waited....and waited...and waited. The woman behind the counter was standing at the cash right in front of me! I smiled, cheerfully said hello, and took out my wallet. Still nothing!

No acknowledgment of my presence, no hello, no "How can I help you?"...NOTHING!

I stood there in disbelief. Is she really ignoring me? Does she not realize there is a paying customer standing at the cash? Hello!?!?!

No. She didn't even serve me or speak to me. It's not like she was incredibly busy. There was only one man sitting at a table and waiting for her to make his sandwich! She surely could have at least taken my order.

She turned her back to me and proceeded to do something else.

Fine. I loudly zipped my wallet shut and stormed out.  I did entertain the thought of saying something, but was too worked up and knew that I may not handle it so well if I did say something. No. I'd just fill out a comment card, stating my disappointment. Okay, initially, it wasn't disappointment. It was sheer anger.

I do know that this is not indicative of all Tim Hortons locations and I did mention that this is the one we frequent most often. Will I stop going to this particular location? No. However, I do hope that this is just an isolated incident. I hope I was just the only one this Tim Hortons employee disregarded and ignored.
  Photo via Google Images

A paying customer! I am in shock and am completely stupefied! I understand that maybe she had something on her mind. Perhaps she was  having a bad day. It was pretty late, but they have late hours of operation. Who knows? But, to send a paying customer storming out the door without even ordering? No, you're not going to lose business, but I do hope staff is trained how to work with the public. This was totally uncalled for.

Hubby knew when he saw me storming out the door, that he wasn't going to get his coffee. On the 74 minute drive home to the Island, thoughts reeled through my mind.  "I HOPE this was being videotaped and that her manager saw how terribly her service/performance was!" and "That was the rudest thing that has EVER happened to me!"

Bottom line: I still like Tim Hortons and I will likely continue to frequent that location. I just hope this is dealt with and that the manager makes sure that employees treat their customers the proper way. I can't even say that the service was horrible, because there was no service!!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh this definitley needs to followed up on, you should talk to that store manager or lodge it online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That location is known for poor service. Actually, Espanola has been having a lot of problems with how people treat Natives. I'm Native and can tell you that KFC got nailed on that big time. Employees were putting Native customers' food on the floor, then putting it in the "Native buckets". They were fined and everything. It's disgusting. The Tim Hortons there is known for not being polite. What ever happened to common curtesy and treating people how you want to be treated? Sorry for this long comment but this really angers me. I hope you reported this. I know you're not Native but the employee probably thought you were. That's the first thing I could think of.

      Delete
    2. Julie: Done, done, and done! :) I've just sent the store manager a message and I've also sent one to HQ! Definitely needs to be addressed. This is so wrong.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous:
      Seriously?! Eeek! That is SO wrong! That actually really makes my blood boil! I'm so angry. I am HOPING this wasn't the case, but my husband did suggest that perhaps that was the reason I wasn't served. Maybe he would have been served if he went in. I'm really hoping there is some other logical explanation about the poor service and that this wasn't about racism. I'm not aboriginal, but the thought that people would treat ANYONE poorly because of their cultural background makes me sick to my stomach. In this day and age, one would think that people were more educated/tolerant/culturally aware. Very sad about the KFC thing! Gross.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous: I am absolutely appalled at the treatment First Nation's people have received - that is unacceptable!!! Wow. I'm so very sorry. Speechless.

      Delete
  2. That is poor service. It makes me wonder if she was brand new and waiting for her trainer to take over. I am often surprised at how little common courtesy there is these days, to just say "someone will be right with you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping you're right :) I hope there is a logical explanation for this. She didn't look like she was new, but it's a possibility. She also looked like she was around my age, so it's not like she was an inexperienced high school kid. I've had some fabulous service by high school aged employees before and would think that if someone is PAYING for a service at a place where you are working and offering these services, you should serve them. LOL! Oh, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! ;)

      Delete
  3. I had an issue at our local Tim Hortons. I was in the drive thru and a really loud vehicle came in behind me. She kept telling me she couldn't get my order because she couldn't hear me. I tried four times and then finally asked to come up to the window and she said no you need to order here. I gave up and drove up to the window and stopped. She looked out at me and completely ignored me. I didn't leave. She finally opened the window and said what? I said you couldn't hear me because of that truck and she said well, I could get his order just fine. Of course you could, he was able to be right up to your speaker and talk above his engine roar. I was so angry with her.

    I have gone into Tim Hortons a few times since, but we have a Coffee Culture which I frequent more often as a result. I contacted customer service and they told me the manager would be told. Which is great, but, they don't follow through past that.

    It is seriously frustrating when you just want to purchase something and you are treated badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, WOW! That is awful! I can't believe that...and the nerve to say "I could get his order just fine" too? Wow.

      I was wondering about what happens after we contact customer service and after the manager is informed. What next? It's fine and dandy to say, "The manager will be informed about this situation", but if nothing comes out of it, then what good is that?

      ARGH! We had been driving for SIX HOURS and were very tired and in need of beverages!!! I just wanted my Timmies! LOL!

      I called my friend to tell her about this (a few minutes ago). She said, "Did you go to the Tim's down the road after?" The answer is NO! I was too worked up and upset about the first Tim's, so I just wanted to get home. I don't often get mad about things, but I was livid.

      Delete
  4. OK. I just read the anonymous comment and now I am even angrier. That is intolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Customer service in general has gone way down the toilet. I find that most service clerks don't even acknowlege you when you come in and they god forbid you need help with something. I started leaving when I don't get at least a hello. This hasn't actually happened at a Tim's though- that is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BusyMamma: You've known me for YEARS and you KNOW I am not one to rock the boat or ruffle feathers. I didn't want to have to write this post, but felt it was so awful and couldn't let it go. You're so right about customer service in general going down the toilet. It is so, so sad :( I always praise people whenever I get great service. However, shouldn't service always be great if you're a polite, courteous, loyal and paying customer?! Anyway...

      Delete
  6. that stinks. I hope they respond to your complaint. take it to twitter or fb if they don't. that is just plain rude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. that is...INSANE!!
    I had that happen once at a Kernals here, and got some freebie coupons when i went to the higher-ups about it.
    It blows my mind that I can't get a job, but yet these morons seem to be employed. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely ridiculous! You just gotta wonder sometimes what people are thinking eh? Sheesh!!

    ReplyDelete